Subscribe to newsletter !
What’s the perfect summer meal that everyone LOVES and is super easy to whip up? FISH TACOS! Fish tacos are for summer what rosé wine is for the hot season!
They’re perfect for the seasonal hot months and are always a crowd pleaser. You really can’t go wrong with grilling a beautiful piece of wild salmon on the BBQ, and then layering on some wonderfully colourful, in season ingredients.
I know I always say it, but with fish tacos, the possibilities are endless! There’s really no wrong way to make them… as long as you have some good fish on the BBQ, crunchy lemony coleslaw, sweet and juicy mango, buttery avocado, creamy yogurt, salty feta cheese, and a splash or two of hot sauce, you’re in business!
They’re also a treat for the eyes: colourful, delicious, texturally pleasing, flavourful, and easy to make.
These tacos take a bit of preparation, but that preparation goes a long way when assembling your personalized dish. You’ll be blown away by the sides that you whipped up, and impressed with all the flavour combinations… not to mention, you’ll be the hit of your own dinner party!!!
Whether you have a food restriction, or are just being “careful” for the summer (ladies, you know what I mean… bikini time!), fish tacos are a great choice because they’re chock full of lean protein, veggies, fruit, and are gluten free…. yet not light in flavour one bit.
You could use any kind of fish that you’d like, but my favourite is salmon. Salmon is meaty, oily, and super consistent in a taco. It holds up well against all the other flavours and ingredients. Plus, it’s full of healthy benefits.
These are the basic fish taco ingredients that I always use, but don’t let this list stop you from getting creative and throwing in whatever else you’d like. It’ll always taste great, promise!
- Wild salmon (or any fish you like)
- Fresh mango
- Plain greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Lemon juice
- Corn tortillas
– To make the coleslaw: start by slicing up half of a cabbage with a mandolin and placing it in a bowl. Please be careful not to cut yourself… speaking from experience, mandolins are extremely sharp. If you don’t have a mandolin, just use a knife but cut as thinly as you can. Juice one to two lemons into the bowl of sliced cabbage and mix it all up. Let it rest while you prep the rest of the meal.
– To make the lemony yogurt: start by putting plain yogurt and the zest from one to two lemons into a mixing bowl. Add the juice from half a lemon, salt and pepper, whisk up, and let sit.
– Season and grill your piece of wild salmon on the BBQ. Once it’s done, break it up into flakes with a fork.
– Chop up one to two mangos, as well as a bunch of fresh cilantro in a small bowl, season to taste, and put aside.
– Slice avocados, crumble feta, and warm up the tortillas, if you’d like.
To assemble your fish tacos: start with a tortilla, and layer on all the toppings that you just made! Splash on a bit of hot sauce and some more fresh cilantro. The order never matters, it’ll always be heaven in your mouth!
Enjoy your meal!